Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change a tire this fast?

I just had my tire changed by roadside assistance in less than 5 minutes. He had one of those automatic drills to remove the lugnuts. And a blue jack that had a long handle. What are the names of these and how much do they cost? Is it normal for someone to be able to change a flat this fast? He only put my spare on, but I went to a mechanic after that and they took over 30 minutes to put on a new tire-no rotation or anything-just one tire.How do I change a tire this fast?I can do it in 5 minutes with all hand tools. It's really not that hard.



The jack is just a standard hydraulic jack. The drill is an electric impact gun/wrench. Go to any automotive/tools store and see the prices they offer.How do I change a tire this fast? hire someone to do it..jk..lol

How do I change a tire this fast?you want to change flats fast? buy the tools and practice.

they are called impacts and floor jacks and you can buy them most anywhere they sell automotive tools.



normal? silly question.

you watched him do it right so what has normal got to do with it. Ever watched nascar? they change all four in 20 secounds



Anyways of course it took longer to replace your tire he had to remove it repair it and replace it right?How do I change a tire this fast?First, the road assistance guy had a portable air compressor and an impact gun, with a rolling floor jack. Those are the tools. Altogether the cost is somewhere around 400-500 dollars. Since he was putting the spare on, yes, the time would be relatively quick. The 30+ minutes for just one tire. I put them on for a living myself. It takes me about 25 to lift the vehicle, remove the spare, pull the old tire off the rim, put a new tire back on, balance the tire, which should have been done, back on to the hub, and torqued down. Now, any problems with the old tire, like it's shredded, split in half, can add to that time. The question I have is, was there any cars worked on before yours? The tech could have been finishing up a car before he got to yours.How do I change a tire this fast?Ok, I am a former mechanic highscool trained and from there on.

Yes it can take a man approx. 5 minutes to change a tire, I worked for a station this is how I know these details and I'll tell them to you. A tow truck driver has a limited amount of time to get you done then go on to another, his skills taught him time is everything when you get paid by the car, however a station mechanic will take over thirty Min's because they have allot of other cars to service that makes more %26quot;profit%26quot; then your air leak. If I am getting 300.00 dollars to do your tune-up and someone comes in with a flat which has higher priority ???? When I have a 25,000.00 dollar month rent to pay, plus salaries ? Get the point, Technically speaking.How do I change a tire this fast?You can pick up a hydraulic jack and an electric cordless 1/2%26quot; drive impact gun at any Sears store. A good jack will be in the $80+ range, a good cordless impact gun well over $200. How important is it to you to change a tire fast and how often do you expect to do it?How do I change a tire this fast?The work can be divided into three phases. They are Move, Queue, and Process. This is important because to speed things up the only thing that can be done quicker is the queue.



Take the guy who changed your tire in five minutes. Did you account for the time it took for him to get there (move time). Did you count the time he waited from receiving your call until heading out (Queue time).



Now for the 30 minutes. How much time was your car setting waiting for someone to work on it? (Queue time) how much time did it take to move your car from the parking lot to the shop lift? (Move time) And finally, how much time was actually spent working on the car? (Process time)



The jack sounds like a scissor jack kind of like the one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDQ



The automatic drill was most likely an electric impact wrench. These come powered by air pressure, battery (cordless), and 110 volt that plugs into a standard electrical outlet. Here is one powered by air:

http://www.toolking.com/products/5540008



One should be able to change a tire within five minutes. I don't want to be setting by the road any longer than I must as I don't want to be hit by on coming traffic.



To do this requires some advance planning. Read the owner's manual to find out where the jack, lug wrench, and spare tire are stored. Check to be sure they are there and you know how to use them also check the spare tire pressure every time you have the oil changed. Sitting on a road on a cold wet winter night is not the time to find out these things.



I hope this helps you.How do I change a tire this fast?It's called a small floor jack and a hand held battery gun.