Friday, September 23, 2011

Ever had a new tire blow out? Should I worry about the others?

I mean really blow up. The whole side of my tire blew out while I was driving 75, out in the middle of nowhere in the desert. It was, around 110 degrees, so needless to say, it sucked.



Luckily I didn't lose control of the vehicle, and I know how to change a tire so it wasn't that big of a deal.



But my tires were new (within the last year) and fairly expensive, and the pressure was, as far as I know, within normal range.



Would you be worried about the other 3 tires having quality issues? Can't help but think about it as I'm driving curvy mountain roads at fast speeds. Had it happened in a different spot, with more traffic, or on a turn, I could be dead.Ever had a new tire blow out? Should I worry about the others?The two primary causes of a blowout like that are low inflation pressure and damage to the tire.



You say that the pressure was OK %26quot;as far as I know%26quot;. Do you REALLY know? Had you checked it within the past day or so as you should? Or was the last time it was checked when the tires were mounted? Tire pressure needs to be gauge checked every time you fuel up.



If you have hit a curb or pothole at any time, internal damage can happen that will result in catastrophic failure at some point in the future. Any time you have any kind of impact on a tire it should be dismounted and inspected by a qualified tire technician. You should also have all tires rotated and balanced every 5,000 miles and this needs to include an inspection of the interior of the tire to be done properly.



Since you have had one catastrophic failure you need to get the rest of the tires inspected by a qualified tech.



BTW, year-old tires are NOT new. Tires are considered used once you get about 500 to 1,000 miles on them.Ever had a new tire blow out? Should I worry about the others?Not sure what to think about the others but if I had to guess, I'd say you may have had one tire with a weak spot.



You might consider slowing down on those curvy mountain roads though... Just an idea ;-)



You didn't mention the money factor but you've probably got a 1 year warranty and the manufacturer should replace the tire for free.



Be careful, okay?Ever had a new tire blow out? Should I worry about the others?Have the car aliened to make sure that its not waring out tire prematurely. If your alignment checks out OK then I would be worry about the other 3.Ever had a new tire blow out? Should I worry about the others?sides of tires are more vulnerable to road hazards, curbs, and under inflation issues.



a previous incident may have triggered this especially if it is a passenger side tire.



However, I would still present it to a tire dealer and see if u can get some credit to a new one.