Friday, September 23, 2011

How do you properly change a tire?

My parents gave me acard to call if I get a flat. I have a spare tire in my car. I wanna be more independent so I'm trying to learn and be on my own without my dad yelling at me when I ask him how to change a tire.



Anyway in my mind I think this is the process:



Get the thingy that lets you lift the car (sorry I don't know the name) and the metal stick that you wind the car lifter thingy up. I know there's a slit on the bottom of the car that you put the car lifter thiny under so you lift the car up without it coming loose.



then I start to lift the car (via rotating metal stick with the car lifter thingy) enough so that the weight is not on the tire that needs changing. (The tire is only an inch off the ground to loosen the nuts/nuggets on the hub caps rigtht? Or is the tire just touching the ground? Confused) Then I get the cross thing and loosen the nuggets diagnolly from each other. (I.E. 12 oclock nugget at the top then the 6 o clock nugget at the bottom. You know opposites). Next I lift the car up (for the tire I'm changing) fully up on the car lifter thingy. Next I fully loosen nuggets and then pull the cap off then the tire. I change the tire. Put the new tire on, then the hub cap.



Next I put the nuggets on LOOSELY with my fingers (not the cross) diagnolly opposites so that the tire gets on properly. (12 oclock nugget then the 6 oclock nugget, etc), then I lower the car so the tire is on the ground. Last I tighten all the nuggets. Done



did I do that right? (I know my dad said something about the order of loosening and stuff so that the car doesn't slide or fall of the car lifter thingy, I guess that's what I'm having issues with.



thanks

college girl. Sorry again I don't know proper names but I know what stuff looks like.How do you properly change a tire?Break/Loosen the Nuts/Lug Nuts (Back off 2 turns) then jack up the Car {At the Area of the Flat Tire}, take the Lug Nuts off (Should be Just Loose Enough) by hand, With a Tire Iron/Pry Bar, work the tire off. Move the New/Spare Tire into place {Try t have 2%26quot; between the Bottom of the tire %26amp; the Ground}, Lift and work the Tire on, Snug the Lug Nuts in a %26quot;Star Pattern%26quot; then lower the Tire to the Ground then get then as Tight as You Can. [Go by a Tire Shop or Station if you are not sure if you got them tight Enough]

%26quot;All that have been said%26quot;

If you are just trying to learn so of the Basics call around to some of the Community or Vocational Colleges because a lot of them offer a course for people that just want to know how to take care of their Cars if something happens while they, 2 or 3 Nights a Week. {Try It!}How do you properly change a tire?Well, shame on your father for yelling at you!! You got it pretty right. First I'd break the bolts loose before I lifted the car up with the JACK. If you break the bolts loose while the car is sitting on the gound, it will be much easier. So break those loose, but leave them on the tire -



THEN jack up your car - then pull off the bolts - and then put the new tire on - and then put the nuts back on - sort of tight.



Drop the car and screw down those nuts really tight.... And you got most of that right.



You're a genius - I can tell!How do you properly change a tire?Both these dudes are right, as are you. Just want to add that there are directions on the inside of your trunk lid or owners manual.